Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Journaling

"Investigate my life, O God,
find out everything about me;
Cross-examine and test me,
get a clear picture of what I’m about;
See for yourself whether I’ve done anything wrong—
then guide me on the road to eternal life."  Psalm 139:23-24 The Message

The English and American puritans practiced regular self-examination.  Self-reflection was ingrained in their lifestyle and spiritual routines.  Fast forward to now where journaling is commonly promoted and practiced.  Writing is a creative outlet that sheds light on your feelings, experiences, struggles, fears, hopes, turning points... Regular journaling is one tool used to unblock creativity.  In the The Artist's Way, Julia Cameron challenges us to start each day with "morning pages," 3 pages of freewriting.  Journaling is often recommended in therapy.

Try journaling, whether 15 minutes a day, 3 pages, or whatever suits you.  What's on your mind by day? What weighs on your heart at night?  What's happening?  What are your feeling?  For what are you grateful?  What's stressing you?  Simple yet profound issues will surface in your sentences.  Insights, awareness, and healing emerge through creative expression.  You will grow and make meaning.

I usually start the day reading the Bible and journaling.  The main benefit for me is that it helps me slow down to become aware of what matters and what it means.  I become more deeply aware of stuff I would otherwise rush by and wouldn't notice, that impacts me nonetheless.  Learning to see the good and give thanks for it is life-giving.  Becoming sensitized to issues that are escalating and taking steps to deal with them, helps avoid crises.  Reflecting on how past events and relationships have shaped you is liberating.  Noticing what keeps coming up in your writing, reveals significant themes/patterns that demand further exploration. 

As Frederick Buechner said:

“Listen to your life. See it for the fathomless mystery it is. In the boredom and pain of it, no less than in the excitement and gladness: touch, taste, smell your way to the holy and hidden heart of it, because in the last analysis all moments are key moments, and life itself is grace.”
Frederick Buechner, Now and Then: A Memoir of Vocation

Lord Have Mercy.  Michael W. Smith.  Nov. 6, 2014  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6jFvrOC9xQ




No comments:

Post a Comment