Friday, March 20, 2020

Give God Time


We listen to the news to become informed citizens, especially in a national emergency. But we would do well to give equal time or more to God.

“Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth.” Ps. 46:10

“We have a choice” as Jennie Allen tells us in her new book to stop the downward spiral of our thoughts and feelings. We can give God time. I hung a poster with these words and the image of a rowboat in my college dorm to remind me. I still need the reminder. We can turn to the truth and promises found throughout scripture. That grounds us so that we cannot be shaken by confusion, doubt, and fear.

Yes, it’s healthy to feel our feelings, to identify our emotions during the day. But we can choose not to become overwhelmed by them. Setting our mind on Christ prevents us from being swept up by too many worrisome broadcasts. Rather than numb ourselves with various distractions, we can speak to our soul. We can share a word of encouragement with others.

Stop playing the negative self-talk tapes. Tell your Father in heaven what you are feeling and what you need. Remind yourself that God knows you and loves you. Remember Almighty God is your stronghold, protector, provider, and physician. These truths calm the spinning mind.

David sang this song when the Lord delivered him from all his enemies.
“The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold and my refuge, my savior;” 2 Sam. 22:2-3

So if you are starting to feel swamped by waves of wild thoughts, remember that Jesus calmed the waters long ago. He is Lord over storms. He is Lord over all. Sit in his presence awhile. Meditate on scripture. Listen. Breathe.

Safe Harbor, Portland, Maine




No comments:

Post a Comment